Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Exigence in Children of Invention

While Children of Invention is a very moving film, I found myself wondering what Tze Chun's Exigence was form creating the film. At first I considered that, like the jungle, Children of Invention is meant to show the hardships immigrants face when living in America. Although there is some of this concept in the film, because Elaine's husband is in Hong Kong and she is taken advantage of because of her ability to speak another language, I do not believe that it was the main point of the film. I do not even think this film was meant to be a critique on American capitalism or dishonesty in American society. However, I do believe that Children of Invention is meant to affect the viewer at a more personal level, and convey the message that parents, as well as children, experience real-life hardships. I also think that Tze Chun wished to show that children are very capable of being strong and innovative when they need to be. The saying "from the mouths of babes" relates to this, I believe, because in Children of Invention, Tina and Raymond can be considered as role models for adults. Their perserverance and ingenuity when faced with stuggles is what, I believe, Tze Chun wanted to convey in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment